12/14/11

To be or not to be...

Well one chapter into "Non-Profits for Dummies" I realize that I honestly have very little knowledge about non-profits.  I hardly recognize most of the terms, and ended the chapter, set the book down and had one of those moments where I was sitting still and the future stretched out FOREVER in front of me.  Is it even possible to learn all of this?  Is it necessary to know it all?  CAN I REALLY DO THIS?!


Yeah.  I can.  And I will.

While debating if I'd like the coffee shop to be non-profit, I don't know that there's such a thing as a non-profit business set up to support a non-profit organization...or just a cause in general!  For profit could work, and all excess profit would still go towards a mission, but then people wouldn't get the tax reduction for donations...which is definitely a plus for starting a non-profit.  But I just learned a new word:

Fiscal Sponsorship

What?  What does that even mean!?  The truth is that I'm not completely sure, but the best I understand it, it's a business that can be run under a legit non-profit, and would be able to use said non-profit's non-profit status, without applying for it themselves.

Something to think about. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment